Monday, November 11, 2013

Settling In?

Very soon, as of this Wednesday, Cher and I will be ensconced in our new home in Albany, Oregon. Well at least it is new to us if not exactly new to the neighborhood, since it was built in 1999. 

Ms. C, in her almost seven years with me has lived the life of a country pumpkin, then became a nomad when we sold the house for full time travel and living in the motor home. Now she will live the life of a city girl with neighbors all around and a fenced in yard to call her own. OK so Albany, Oregon may not be considered a "city" when compared to say Albany, NY. And those in LA, California (where we attended the Dogs for the Deaf "HollyWoof - 2" event a couple of weeks ago) may scoff at my use of the term, but by Oregon standards it is considered a city, granted a small one. 

Cher has already been working the sounds during our daily work visits to the house as my hubby and I prepare the insides with the requisite new coats of paint on the walls and the cleaning frenzy that overtakes those who have purchased a house that has had previous owners. Today new carpeting will be installed in some of the rooms, making that the final "to do" before we trundle our belongings through the door. 

Until Cher and I become known in the neighborhood I will be putting her hearing dog vest on her when we take our walks.  My neighbors will be learning about service dogs, in our case hearing dogs, and hearing loss and even Deafness, when they see fingers fly when my Deaf friend come visit. Well my friends' fingers fly, mine kind of jerk along. I know that there will be misunderstandings as my neighbors encounter what they may see as my over protectiveness of Cherelle. Why would anyone have so many rules about how to interact with a dog for heaven's sake? Why does that woman make such a pucker face whenever she sees an off-leash dog? Then of course there will be the inevitable mistaking my unresponsiveness as unfriendliness, not understanding that I simply did not hear a neighbor's greeting or spontaneous comment. And there will be the thoughts sometime expressed, sometimes not. "She can't be really partially deaf. Her speech is too good!"  Eventually, the people I call neighbors, will get it, at least as well as someone who is "hearing" can. I am hopeful that Cher and I will be accepted. We will then be what I consider "settled-in".

And before I forget, as promised. Below is the URL where you can see the "HollyWoof - 2" event photos from Dogs for the Deaf. Enjoy.

www.dogsforthedeaf.org/photo-albums/hollywoof-photos-2

Best Wishes from me and tail wags from Cherelle, aka Cher.





No comments:

Post a Comment